Dear Faithful Readers,
It is finally here. After a couple of teases here and there, I am finally sharing with you a working recipe of the secret white sauce from the famous Halal Guys at 53rd & 6th, NYC. Granted, it did not turn out the same as my initial trial, and it's hard to even say it was better, but my friend who had the real deal a few weeks ago said my sauce tasted just like theirs. (Either she's a very kind friend or I did alright). Please keep in mind that this is still a working recipe. You are welcome.
PS - Apologies to those who wanted a sample! I will make it again soon. :)
|Not pictured: salt, black pepper, sugar|
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. horseradish
- 3 tsp. white sugar (divided into 1 tsp. each)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ~1/2 cup Ranch dressing
- ~2 tbsp. Greek yogurt
- ~2 tbsp. sour cream
- ~2 tsp. dry dill weed
1) I started by taking the first eight ingredients listed above (mayo to vinegar) and mixing it all in a small bowl. I divided the sugar into three separate tsps. and added it at the beginning, middle, and end of the entire experiment. Who knows if that made a difference, but in case it did, I'm letting you know. Use a whisk to get a smoother finish.
2) The last four ingredients are rough approximations because it was on a purely trial-and-error, experimental basis. If the sauce becomes too chunky, add a few teaspoons of water. If the sourness of the Greek yogurt and sour cream overpower, add a little sugar.
3) Stir, stir, stir. Top over chicken and rice. Enjoy!